I left bank job to be a DJ — DJ Caise

I left bank job to be a DJ — DJ Caise

DJ Caise

He is one of Nigeria's high-flying deejays. With a master's degree in finance, DJ Caise reveals why he had to forgo a white collar job for music

 Where did you get the alias, DJ Caise from?

My real name is Derin Phillips and I got the alias from a friend who thought I was a crazy disc jockey.  Caise is the French word for money box.

Where and how did you catch the music bug?

I have always been a music head. I was a choir member at my church and I was always the guy in class that always made a lot of noise singing and rapping. When I got to the Reading University in the United Kingdom, I started work as a disc jockey while studying for my BSc Economics and MSc Finance. I guess music has always been a huge part of my life. I could not even fight off my love for music even if I tried.

Having discovered your love for music in your undergraduate years, why did you not pursue a degree in music as opposed to a master's in finance?

 I actually went to a production and DJ school; you can see that I am well schooled in the art.

Did you use your degrees to work at any point in time?

Yes, I worked in a bank at the treasure department, trading fixed income securities.

How were you able to convince your family that you wanted a career as a deejay?

 It was very difficult and it's still a mission in progress. Explaining to my family the vision I have is a bit difficult but they still show me all the support they can and they understand my passion.

You decided to relocate to Nigeria?

I only travelled for educational reasons; I was born and raised in Nigeria, I'm a proud Lagosian.

Did you have contacts in Nigeria prior to relocating?

On returning, I actually didn't know anybody in the entertainment industry. I saw the General Manger of Beat FM outside a club, walked up to him and introduced myself. After a few interviews and auditions, as they say, the rest is history.

How easy or difficult was it for you to break into the music scene?

 In the UK, I was already an established and successful DJ, so moving back actually felt like I was in a new terrain especially as I was the first person to play Gidi House music on Nigerian radio. It was a bit tricky trying to convince people about my kind of music but I'm glad Gidi House music scene has come this far.

Did you also plan to become a producer?

Deejaying and producing are very similar and  I had reached a point in deejaying that I wanted to go beyond expressing my creativity using other people's music. Producing has given me an avenue to create my own sound and express my ideas a lot better.

Don't you think you are doing too many things at once?

Apart from being a DJ, producer, artiste and actor (I am currently shooting 'The Island'), I am a very passionate, hardworking and creative person. I feel like I have a story to tell even though there are times I am tired and frustrated. I honestly believe this gift is bigger than me.

What is causing the delay in releasing your album?

You can't rush a creative process. No 1 was well received and I have to work extra hard to surpass that. Before now, I was going to release a mash-up/remix album, but when we received the feedback for No 1, we decided to release original materials only, which I am working on.

Which of these passions is more fulfilling to you?

Honestly, between being a deejay and a producer, I can't pick one. Like I mentioned earlier, they are both similar. The only difference is, producing is a slower process while deejaying is quite intense and fast paced especially when at sold-out concerts.  The pressure is on to keep the crowd on their feet and entertained.

Competition is tough in all of these fields, how do you keep abreast of competition?

Competition is healthy for any field but I really just focus on my goals and try to deliver the best music I can and as I know it.

What kind of childhood did you have?

 I had a great childhood, spent a lot of time with my immediate brother and cousins. I use to sleep a lot and I was the baby of the house.  I was a school prefect, class captain, president of the ACS (Afro Caribbean society), we thank God.

Growing up, which music icons did you look up to?Who are those you look up to currently?

Growing up, I looked up to Nas, Jay Z, Biggie, Tupac because I liked their music and the message they put across especially Nas and Tupac, I was drawn to their self empowerment message. Currently, I look up to David Guetta, Timbaland, Tiesto and Black Coffee. All these people are DJs, producers and artistes.

What is your long term plan for your brand?

I want to make a positive contribution to the Nigeria/African entertainment industry.

What is the best part of being in the limelight?

The best part is having the opportunity to impact people's lives.

Why did you choose to pitch your tent with Chocolate City?

I believe it's one of Africa's best record labels. They have great plans in place for each artiste signed to the label. Also, they understand my passion for music and where I am taking it to.

What would you consider the highpoints of your careers?

I have a couple of highlights, deejaying at WOMEX ( World Music Expo) which happened in Cardiff; at the MTV Africa Alstar event; I have been a deejay in front of 20,000  people; Big Brother Africa season 5 and 6; in Zimbabwe and many more.

What goes through your mind when you look at your certificates now?

No regrets, to God be the glory.

 
Copyright © 2011. ExposeNG.com - All Rights Reserved